
The rain in Valek doesn’t wash anything away. It only turns the city’s accumulated grime into a slick, black sludge that clings to your boots and muffles the sound of your own heartbeat. I stood in the shadow of a hollowed-out tenement block, my breathing measured, my rifle pressed tight against my chest. The air tasted of ozone and wet concrete—the signature scent of the Black Zone.
I wasn't here for supplies. I wasn't here for the scraps of salvage that kept the desperate alive in the outer districts. I was here because of the signal.
The Ghost in the Circuitry
For three nights, the shortwave radio in my safehouse had been bleeding static that wasn't static at all. It was rhythmic, deliberate, and layered with a sequence that felt like a heartbeat. Mara had been the one to pin the origin point. She’d spent hours hunched over a localized frequency map, her fingers trembling as she traced the lines back to the old St. Jude’s overflow clinic.
"It’s not a malfunction, Elias," she had told me, her voice barely a whisper. "It’s an invitation. Or a warning. But it’s definitely coming from inside."
I checked my watch. The luminous hands were barely visible in the gloom. I moved, my boots silent on the sodden carpet of the lobby. The interior of the clinic was a graveyard of overturned gurneys and rusted IV stands. Every shadow seemed to stretch, reaching out to snag my gear. I kept my movement fluid, keeping my back to the wall, eyes scanning for the tell-tale tripwires or pressure plates that the local scavengers favored.
The Third Floor
The stairs groaned under my weight, a protest that echoed through the empty stairwell like a gunshot. I froze, waiting for the inevitable reaction—the scuffle of boots, the rack of a slide, the shout of a sentry. But there was only the steady drip of water somewhere in the rafters.
When I reached the third floor, I saw it. A faint, amber glow bleeding from beneath the door of the head administrator’s office. It wasn't the harsh, flickering light of a dying bulb. It was steady, warm, and utterly wrong for a place that had been dead for five years.
I reached for the door handle, my skin prickling. My tactical training urged caution, telling me to back away, to extract, to live for another run. But the signal was louder here, vibrating in my teeth. I pushed the door open, the hinges screaming in protest.
No Turning Back
The room was empty of people, but the desk was covered in equipment that shouldn't have existed. A transmitter, modified with parts stripped from a dozen different consoles, hummed on the mahogany surface. Beside it sat a single, handwritten note weighted down by a spent shell casing.
I didn't pick it up immediately. Instead, my light swept the corners, resting finally on the window. Outside, through the jagged glass, I saw the sweeping spotlight of a Warden patrol drone cutting through the low-hanging clouds. They were moving toward this building. Fast.
I grabbed the note and shoved it into my inner pocket, my heart hammering against my ribs. As I turned to leave, the transmitter suddenly cut out. The amber light vanished, plunging the room into total darkness. In that silence, I heard the heavy, rhythmic thud of boots hitting the floorboards down the hall. Not scavengers. Not the erratic, clumsy movement of the desperate.
These were professionals. And they had just locked the stairwell.
I backed toward the fire escape, the iron railing cold and wet under my grip. I hadn't just found the source of the signal; I had walked straight into a cage. And as the door to the office began to creak open, I realized that the Warden hadn't been hunting me—they had been waiting for me to lead them to exactly what I was holding in my pocket.
The raid was over. The hunt had just begun.