
The rain in Valek doesn't wash anything away. It just turns the city’s accumulated grime into a slick, black sludge that clings to your boots and muffles the sound of your own heartbeat. I stood in the shadow of a rusted transit pylon, my breath hitching in the cold, damp air. My kit felt heavier than it had an hour ago—the weight of the scavenged medical supplies pressing against my spine like a reminder of what I had left behind to get them.
The Echo in the Static
I adjusted the dial on the shortwave receiver tucked into my chest rig. The signal was stronger here, near the edge of the Black Zone, but it wasn't the rhythmic pulse I had been tracking for the last three days. It was a voice. Distorted, layered under the white noise of a failing grid, but unmistakably human. It was repeating a set of coordinates that led straight into the heart of the old district, a place the Warden’s patrols had cordoned off weeks ago.
“Elias,” a voice whispered from the darkness behind me. I didn't reach for my sidearm—I knew the cadence of her movement. It was Mara.
She stepped into the dim light of a flickering streetlamp. Her face was gaunt, eyes reflecting the dull grey of the sky. She wasn't carrying a weapon, which made my skin crawl more than if she had been armed to the teeth. In Valek, being unarmed meant you either had nothing to lose or you were bait.
“You heard it too,” she said, not as a question, but as a confirmation of our shared misfortune.
“It’s a trap, Mara,” I replied, keeping my voice low. “The Warden doesn't broadcast coordinates unless he wants a perimeter test. He’s drawing runners out to see who’s still scavenging in the forbidden sectors.”
“It’s not the Warden,” she insisted, stepping closer. She reached into her coat and pulled out a jagged piece of thermal-printed paper. It was an extraction manifest, dated three days after the quarantine was declared. It bore a seal I hadn't seen in years—a ghost of the city’s former administration. “The signal isn't coming from the Warden’s network. It’s coming from the hospital basement. The sub-level they sealed off before the first checkpoints went up.”
The Cost of Memory
I looked at the paper, then back toward the dark silhouette of the hospital rising above the skyline like a jagged, broken tooth. Returning there was a death sentence. I had spent months scraping together enough intel to find a way out of Valek, and every step toward that building felt like I was trading my future for a grave.
But Mara was looking at me with a desperate, terrifying hope. She knew something about those signals. She knew why they had started now, and why they were using frequencies that shouldn't exist anymore.
“If we go in,” I said, my voice hardening, “we don't come out the same way we went in. You understand that? Once you cross that threshold, the Warden marks you. There is no extraction after that.”
“There was never an extraction for us, Elias,” she said, her gaze drifting toward the barricaded transit tunnels. “We’ve just been waiting for the city to finish digesting us.”
A Final Descent
We moved through the alleyways, sticking to the blind spots of the searchlights. The city felt alive tonight—the wind whistling through shattered windows sounded like a chorus of warnings. We reached the hospital perimeter, a labyrinth of concertina wire and concrete barriers that had been reinforced with heavy-gauge steel.
I used the bolt cutters, the snap of metal echoing like a gunshot in the stagnant air. We slipped through the gap, my heart hammering against my ribs. As we descended into the stairwell leading toward the sub-level, the receiver in my pocket suddenly went silent. No static. No voice.
Then, the heavy steel door at the bottom of the stairs groaned. It wasn't being opened from our side.
I raised my rifle, my finger hovering over the guard, but I stopped when I saw the light. A soft, blue glow pulsed from behind the door, rhythmic and steady, like a beacon. It wasn't the harsh, white glare of the Warden’s tactical lights. It was something else.
“Elias,” Mara whispered, her hand gripping my sleeve. “Look at the door.”
Scratched into the heavy iron, fresh and gleaming in the blue light, was a symbol I had only ever seen in my own nightmares—a mark I thought had been erased from this city years ago.
The door began to swing open, and the sound of a mechanical hum filled the stairwell. We weren't alone, and whatever was waiting for us in the dark didn't need a radio to know we were coming.
I checked my magazine, took a breath, and stepped forward. There was no way back now.