Blood on the Elevator

The scent of Valek is always the same: wet concrete, ozone, and the copper tang of old, dried blood. It clings to the back of your throat, a reminder that the city doesn’t just kill you—it digests you.

I adjusted the strap of my rig, the weight of the scavenged medical supplies biting into my shoulder. My boots made no sound on the shattered glass of the hospital lobby. Outside, the wind howled through the skeletal remains of the high-rises, carrying the rhythmic, distorted pulse of the Signal. It was getting louder. Whatever Mara was trying to decode in that basement, it was starting to scream.

The Vertical Grave

I reached the central elevator bank. The lights in the shaft were dead, replaced by the flickering orange glow of a chemical flare I’d dropped minutes earlier. The service elevator was my only way up to the archives, but the doors were pried open just enough to reveal a jagged darkness.

I pulled my sidearm, the cold steel a familiar comfort against my palm. I didn't rush. In Valek, the man who rushes is the man who gets buried in a shallow grave behind a dumpster. I peered into the shaft. My flare illuminated the bottom: rusted cables swaying like hung snakes, and a mess of debris that looked uncomfortably like a discarded life.

Then, I saw it. A smear of fresh, wet crimson on the edge of the service door. Not dry, not oxidized. Fresh.

"Mara?" I whispered, the sound swallowed instantly by the hollow throat of the building. No response. Only the distant, mechanical groan of the city’s perimeter fence shifting miles away.

A Tactical Error

I began the climb, pulling myself up the maintenance ladder bolted to the side of the shaft. Every muscle in my back screamed. I was halfway to the fourth floor when the sound hit me—the unmistakable click of a safety being disengaged. It wasn't the metallic snap of a military-grade rifle; it was the soft, deliberate grind of a custom-modified trigger.

"You're a long way from the safehouse, Elias," a voice rasped from the floor above. It was deep, modulated by a throat mic, stripped of all humanity. The Warden’s enforcer.

I froze, my fingers white-knuckled against the rusted rungs. I didn't look up. I looked down, calculating the drop. If I jumped, I’d break an ankle. If I stayed, I was a static target in a confined space. I chose the third option—the one that didn't involve playing by their rules.

I kicked the wall, swinging my body into the empty space of the shaft, and dropped my flare. The sudden plunge into darkness bought me a second. I pulled the pin on a flash-bang and tossed it upward, toward the sound of the voice.

The Cost of Curiosity

The roar of the blast shook the elevator shaft, vibrating through my very marrow. I didn't wait to hear the scream. I lunged for the floor-four access hatch, scrambling through the gap just as the enforcer’s return fire chewed the concrete where my head had been a second before.

I rolled onto the tiled floor of the archive hallway, gasping for air. My ears were ringing, a high-pitched whine that threatened to drown out the Signal. I crawled toward the heavy steel door of the records room, my hand trembling as I reached for the handle.

Inside, I found what I came for—not the supplies, but the truth. Mara was there, huddled over a flickering terminal, her face pale in the light of the monitor. She didn't look up when I entered. She just pointed to the screen.

The Signal wasn't a distress call. It was a countdown. And according to the timestamp, we had less than an hour before the Warden triggered the final sweep of the sector.

"We aren't leaving, Elias," she whispered, finally turning to look at me. Her eyes were hollow, reflecting the data scrolling across the glass. "There is no extraction. There never was."

Outside, the heavy thud of boots hit the hallway. They were coming for us, and this time, they weren't interested in taking prisoners. I checked my magazine. Three rounds left. I looked at the door, then back at Mara. The game had changed, and the blood on the elevator was only the beginning.